400 g Bonomi Ladyfingers
3 cups strawberries and more for topping
½ cup and 3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp orange juice
1 tbsp Cointreau
Pinch of salt
500 g mascarpone cheese
Optional: Freeze-dried strawberry powder
- Mix 3 cups of sliced strawberries with orange juice, Cointreau, and 3 tbsp of sugar in a medium bowl. Let sit for 10-15 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and remaining ½ cup of sugar until pale yellow.
- Once mixed, add in the mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until they are firm and gently fold them into the egg and mascarpone mixture.
- Strain the strawberries from the first step reserving the liquid in a shallow dish.
- To assemble, gently turn each ladyfinger one by one into the reserved strawberry liquid and then place into a 9 x 13 baking dish. You may need to break some ladyfingers and arrange them in order to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Evenly spread a layer of the mascarpone mixture on top.
- Top with a single layer of strawberries.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 with a second layer of ladyfingers and mascarpone mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm. (Overnight is best)
- Before serving, decorate the top with a dusting of freeze-dried strawberry powder and/or garnish with strawberries. Slice and serve immediately. Enjoy!